It's been a quiet time over the last couple of weeks and that, allied with a few days away, has meant there isn't much to report I'm afraid.
A walk along the sea front was of interest though as I spotted a skua flying by relatively close in to shore. I took photos as it flew by and checked them when I got home, as it looked to be something other than a Great Skua. A kind and helpful friend confirmed id as being an Arctic Skua.
.JPG) |
| Arctic Skua off Hornsea sea front |
.JPG) |
| Arctic Skua and a photo bombing Red-throated Diver |
.JPG) |
| Arctic Skua |
.JPG) |
| Red-throated Divers |
The first of the Autumn's Pink-footed Geese have been flying over and I saw a small group that had landed south of the Mere, joining Barnacle and Greylag Geese.
 |
| Pink-footed Geese |
The Red-legged Partridges that have been seen regularly around the Mere through Spring and Summer are still here, only four now though.
 |
| Red-legged Partridges |
During the dearth of interesting birds I've been catching some of our resident birds through the lens. Here is a small selection of those I saved.
 |
| Teal |
 |
| A scruffy Magpie |
.JPG) |
| Kestrel |
.JPG) |
| Same Kestrel as above |
 |
| Great Spotted Woodpecker |
 |
| Heron Landing |
The insects still showing in the warmish days of early Autumn are quite numerous, although I can't say that that description applies to butterflies! Red Admirals, Commas and Whites are about in greater numbers than Small Coppers (I saw one of those 😂).
 |
| Small Copper |
Common Darters, Ruddy Darters and Migrant Hawkers lead the way in the dragonfly stakes, with 18 Common Darters seen during a morning walk.
 |
| Ruddy Darter |
Finally for this update, a young Roe Deer was trying to get out of a field but was having some difficulty finding a lowish part of the fence to jump over. It managed eventually I'm glad to report.
 |
| One of this year's young Roe Deer |
No comments:
Post a Comment