Friday 19 August 2016

Parakeets, in Hornsea?

Overcast, dry, warm with a south easterly breeze.

Walking through Freeport this morning I heard a weird screeching call. I didn't recognise it at all so I searched the trees where the noise was coming from.

A green bird flew out! Green Woodpecker? No, too small. Ring-necked Parakeet? No, too small, wings too short and tail too short. Another call answered the first so I searched and saw a small bird, high in a conifer. Pale underparts, grey back and a pale head with a greenish tinge. It flew after the first bird and they both disappeared.

Two parakeets/love birds or whatever then, in Hornsea no less. I don't do exotics so they were well out of my experience. Wonder what they were, but they will have escaped from somewhere that is for sure. They were not wind-blown migrants!

The allotments were alive with Blackbirds, House Sparrows and Song Thrushes this morning. It was great to see and hear them, but I bet the allotment owners won't be as glad to see them around their raspberry canes :)

The south side of The Mere was pretty quiet apart from 5 Redshank that flew off 2nd field shore line over to Hermitage shore. The usual suspects were about including 4 Great-crested Grebe with 2 juvs in tow; 3 Grey Heron using the low water level to fish in the reeds at the east end along with a whole host of Coot and Mute Swans. A Cetti's Warbler was singing in the hedge between 1st and 2nd field which was a nice surprise. Although there are several pairs of Cetti's around the Mere, they go quiet for a while and then all of a sudden they start singing again.

The hedgerows were buzzing with finches and sparrows as I walked on towards Wassand. There must have been over 50 Goldfinches, Linnets and Tree Sparrows in a flock feeding on seed heads. A pair of Yellowhammers flew in for a short while too.

Sorry, no photos today as I had my scope to carry and it was one of those days!


No comments:

Post a Comment