Friday 16 September 2016

Before the rain

07:15 to 11:00 - Overcast, 16 degrees C, dry, light NW wind.

Thought I'd head out early this morning, before the forecast rain arrived.

A few migrants were found on Hornsea south beach, 7 Meadows Pipits, 10 Swallows over and a Wheatear.
Wheatear on Hornsea beach
Wheatear and a Mipit on the beach
Over to Kirkholme Point at The Mere to see what was about, and the answer was pretty much not as much as I'd hoped for. A few more Swallows (c.30) over the Mere and 4 Little Gulls on the jetty. Numbers of wild fowl are building nicely with Wigeon, Shoveler, Teal and Gadwall all well represented now. Still just a handful of Pochard though.

Walking along the south side of The Mere I scanned the water for anything different, a grebe other Great-crested perhaps, but nothing appeared today.

In one of fields where the crop had just been cut were a flock of Barnacle Geese that looked as though they had roosted there overnight. Counting them from a distance I got at least 96.
Barnacle Geese in stubble field
Barnacle Geese - at least 96
I sat in the hide at Wassand for half an hour, watching the skies getting darker and darker. I eventually decided to make a dash for home, as I hadn't brought a coat. I'd just got back, sat down with a cuppa made by the lovely Linda and the rain started bouncing down. Good timing for a change :)

No comments:

Post a Comment