Thursday 8 February 2018

Great White Egret - Gone in 36 seconds

During my walk around The Mere this morning I stopped off at Wassand hide. As usual I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but as I opened the window I saw a large, white flappy thing with a snowman's carrot for a nose. Great White Egret no less!!!!!!

It was directly opposite the hide when I first saw it and it was flying east. I managed to get my camera sorted pretty sharpish and fired off a few frames as it continued flying away, but then it slowly turned and flew almost directly over the hide, going south east. I didn't see it again but it was a marvelous sight for all of the 36 seconds that it was visible :)

Great White Egret over Wassand Hide
As I walked back towards home along the south side footpath the hedgerows were being flailed to keep them at a reasonable size. In 1st field the vegetation near the Mere behind the fence was also being cut, but this didn't seem to perturb the Stonechats at all as they were were still foraging along that stretch. There were 3 this morning, 2 females and a male.
Clearing the shore vegetation
Male Stonechat
Stonechat amid the cleared vegetation

No comments:

Post a Comment