Sunday 16 December 2018

A sunny walk to Decoy Hide

A lovely sunny morning today with a slight southerly wind and a sharp 3 degrees C temperature. Ideal walking conditions.

I went straight to The Mere instead of going to the sea front for a change, and after a brief chat and a glimpse of a female Scaup from 1st field, I headed west towards the hide before the morning sunlight disappeared.

Just past Snipe Grounds I spotted 3 Roe Deer in the field. They watched me walk along the footpath quite unconcerned, but once I stopped to take a photo they were off,
A Marsh Harrier flew south over the next field in front of me, adult male I reckon, and there were 5 Marsh Harriers seen later in the day.

At the hide I spent an hour or so watching from the viewing platform but nothing appeared other than more Mute Swans and Cormorants. Even the Great White Egret was absent - maybe the water level is too high for it to feed now so has moved elsewhere?

I walked back through the wood and saw a good sized flock of Long-tailed Tits with a couple of Coal Tits and several Great and Blue Tits. As usual a Treecreeper was following in their wake. It was very elusive though and as it went up the tree trunk another joined it. As I got the camera focussed, off they went :)

While I was missing the Treecreepers, a bird moving in the undergrowth caught my eye. It turned out to be a Chiff Chaff. I know they are now over-wintering here but I haven't seen one up to now.
Chiff Chaff in Wassand wood
Also seen were 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers and a Jay before I left the wood and approached the pines.

I walked very slowly past the pine trees in case a Goldcrest ot two were about, but I had to content myself with the beautiful sight of these wonderful trees against a vivid blue sky.
Mid afternoon I received a message saying there wasa drake smew just off KP. I walked down to The Mere and found it straight away, just off the north side of KP. We had one at the beginning of December but that bird never came as close as this one. What a fantastic looking bird and a real treat to get good views.
drake Smew off KP

No comments:

Post a Comment