Monday 31 August 2020

My Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen

 A dry walk today which was most welcome after a couple of very soggy days, which served to confirm that my coat really needs re-waterproofing. I've sorted that today and the coat is drying in the sun as I write this blog.

I found a couple of specimens of one of my favourite plants today - Wild Arum aka Lords-and-Ladies:

Lords-and-Ladies have red poisonous berries

 Earlier in the morning at silly o'clock I was down on the sea front enjoying the tranquility of the early morning and watching the waves break on an almost empty beach. A little more wind would have been nice to whip up a bit of spindrift, but that will come soon enough in autumn and winter!!

Almost spindrift in the early morning sun

Not much was visible out at sea through the bins, but I did see a flock of about 40 Common Scoter flying north and 9 Sandwich Terns also going north. A Common Gull was on its own on the beach and wouldn't fly off despite a dog walker coming along.

An uncommon Common Gull

Further out, the off shore wind turbines are multiplying as Hornsea 1 and 2 come on stream, which is great for renewable energy, but some of them are positioned wrongly and are a threat to feeding Gannets. Those further to the south off Withernsea were just about visible.

Wind turbines off Withernsea

Westermost Rough wind farm off Hornsea, with passing Cormorants

Back to my local patch and first field edge is almost submerged after the rain and is strewn with beached vegetation. A couple of Common Sandpipers were on there.

Common Sandpipers on first field edge

Our pair of Kestrels and their young have dispersed and haven't been seen for a while so it was nice to see one of the birds back over second field this morning:

Kestrel hovering over second field bank

Not many Swifts or hirundines this morning and I guess this may be the last photo I get of Swifts this year (taken yesterday).

One of two Swifts over second field

Back home, as I was putting my coat outside to dry after re-proofing it, I spotted a grasshopper on the patio. Looks like a Field Grasshopper to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment