Saturday 3 July 2021

Meadow Brown, Texture Like Sun *

* The Stranglers, 1982

Butterfly numbers are definitely down on last year, both in species seen and in numbers of each. Sure, Spring was very late in getting going but things have gradually caught up for the most part. 

Meadow Brown is the most numerous butterfly in the fields at the moment around here, with RInglets now emerging to challenge this. Yesterday I only saw a single white butterfly on my 3 hour walk - not good.

Meadow Browns, texture more like mud than sun

Also yesterday I saw my second Emporer dragonfly - a female this time, basking in the grass. This was a pain in the grass as I couldn't get an angle to avoid the grass stems...
Emporer dragonfly along the Mere south side


I had the same problem with grass/reed stems that obscurred a couple of Sedge Warblers as they came very close in Heslop's. Nothing you can do in that situation, just hope for better next time.

Sedge Warblers hiding behind a screen of reeds

I got a few distant pics of a couple of Hobby a few days ago, one was carrying prey. It looks like a small bird with longish legs and a longish bill. Any thoughts on id gratefully received.

Hobby with prey - Moorhen chick??

To end on a happy note, I don't see many Greenfinches in Hornsea so I was delighted to find a pair feeding young. Here's hoping a few of them survive to breed.

Local Greenfinch

No comments:

Post a Comment