Sunday 24 April 2022

Hornsea Flora and Fauna Thriving

 A fine walk along the south side of Hornsea Mere this morning. Although the cold wind is still blowing from the north/north east, the sun makes it reasonably warm.

Along Southorpe Road the bluebells and wood anemones are looking good.

Brown Hares have settled down now and are seen in pairs rather than groups. This one was chilling in between the crops.

Brown Hare

At the hide the Marsh Harriers were showing well and collecting nest material (again).

Marsh Harriers

There were loads of corvids flapping around Heslops for some reason, Jackdaws and Carrion Crows mainly.

I saw my first Speckled Wood butterfly of the year as it landed on the path in front of me. The first of many I hope.

Speckled Wood

Along the hedgerow a couple of Lesser Whitethroats were singing. They just wouldn't come out from behind the twigs and foliage so this is the best of a bad bunch of images.

Lesser Whitethroat

Just a few yards away a Common Whitethroat was also singing.

Common Whitethroat
Common Whitethroat singing

The pair of Treecreepers continue to work away on getting their nest sorted, with both birds away from the nest for quite a time. I'm guessing there aren't any eggs yet.

I've seen and heard more Greenfinches around Hornsea this Spring than at any time since we moved here. This is good news and I hope the trend continues.

Singing Greenfinch

A little further south, therre are a couple of large pools left over from the winter rain. I went past this morning and found 2 Shelduck, 2 Lapwing, an Oystercatcher and several Mallards. I was hoping for a Ringed or Little Ringed Plover but I'll keep checking and hoping.

Lapwing
Pair of Shelduck
Shelduck
Oystercatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment