Sunday 4 December 2022

New Camera

 I have finally taken the difficult decision to trade in my DSLR gear for a smaller, lighter camera that will allow me to carry it without breaking my back and I'll arrive home refreshed from my daily walk rather than totally cream crackered 😂

This will be the first time in over 40 years that I will be without an SLR camera, but hopefully the change will be for the better. We'll see.

I've had the camera for a few days but the weather has been against me, with very poor light for most of the time. I'm still getting to grips with focus and light settings but my control of these will improve over time.

Here are a few of my early efforts:

Misty morning web of intrigue
Whoopers over Heslop's (4 of 8)
Juvenile Dark Bellied Brent Goose
Same as above, taken from the bedroom window 😀
Roe deer getting their feet dirty in the ploughed field

One thing I've noticed is that the time for the camera to wake up and get to full zoom is much longer than the DSLR. I expected a lag from experience with my Nikon P900 but if a photo opportunity arises, a bird flying over or a mammal running past, then you have seconds to react and get the shot. This morning about 20 Lapwing flew over and by the time I'd waited for the camera to be ready they had gone. I'll just have to accept that for the convenience and lightness of a bridge camera there are downsides too.

Long-tailed Tits have been the most frequently seen bird this month but getting enough light has been the problem. This one was taken with +1.7 compensation, ISO 320, 600mm, 1/250 sec, F4.
Long-tailed Tit

Likewise this Cormorant, +0.3 exposure bias, ISO 320, 600mm, 1/250 sec, F4.

Cormorant from the hide

GS pecker in Wassand Wood

Yew berries seem to be a bit scarce this year

The sun appeared for a minute or two on KP which let me get some better light on the subject.

Common Gull preening on a KP jetty

Then it disappeared again as the Goldcrest came out to feed in Bull Hole.

Goldcrest

This morning was another dull day with a solid ENE wind in my face, and a bit of rain every now and then.

The view southwards

There were 8 Sanderling along the tide line but they were, as is all too usual here, kept on their toes by dogs chasing them.

Come on in, the water's lovely

Formation prancing on the beach

That's it for now. More later hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment