Thursday 23 March 2023

From The Sublime (Buzzard) To The Ridiculous (Yellow Dung Flies)

 Another wonderful morning as I sauntered along the south side of Hornsea Mere once again. I'm stopping more often and for longer these days, but whether I'm seeing more wildlife or not as a result I'm not sure 😀

Roe Deer, Brown Hare and Grey Squirrel were the mammals on offer today:

Roe Deer relaxing

Brown Hare
Brown Hare and Lapwing
Grey Squirrel

There were lots of Chiffchaffs singing as I walked my 6 and a bit miles in the sun. It was a bit breezy but warm too.

Singing Chiffy
Chiffchaff

Wrens were also in profusion (well, 4 anyway).

Small but damn loud

Raptors were certainly the most stand-out moments of the morning's creatures. A pair of Common Buzzards came over quite low and 3 Marsh Harriers were high up and soaring.

A soaring male Marsh Harrier
Female Common Buzzard
Ditto above
...and again
Male Common Buzzard

Getting down and dirty there were plenty of Yellow Dung Flies on the fresh sheep poo. Quite photogenic really 😉 I wonder if birds eat these flies?

Yellow Dung Flies

On the fence post in first field was a Zebra Spider. After I togged it, a midge(?) came along and settled on it. Possibly a meal.

Zebra Spider
A late Zebra Spider, attacked by a midge of some sort

We're done (or dung) for today methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment