Friday 13 September 2024

Marsh Harrier Comma Chiffchaff Comma Greenshank

 I spotted a cream crown Marsh Harrier in one of the south side fields so I used the limited cover to get as close as possible. Looked like a juv rather than an adult female bird.

Juvenile Marsh Harrier

 I also got possibly the same bird in flight drifting along the reed bed.

Marsh Harrier

The brambles are still attracting bees and hoverflies - I tried to get hoverflies in flight but was only partially successful I reckon.

Tapered Dronefly and Marmalade Hoverfly

At the sea front the strong north and north easterly winds brought through plenty of good birds off shore. Me? I don't do sea watching because my id skills aren't good enough, but I do scan the sea with my bins hoping to get something close enough to shore to id. Red-throated Diver and Common Scoter are seen often, but rarely close enough to grab a photo, so I was quite pleased to have a small flock pass by near the shore.

Common Scoter off Hornsea

Most of the warblers have left for their southwards migration but Chiffchaffs are still here. I hear a song every now and then but usually it's just a call from them.

Chiffchaff

I was down at the hide for a change and heard a call I hadn't heard all year - Greenshank. I found it circling the Mere, probably looking for somewhere to land, but as the water level is so high there was no chance and flew through going west. Not very good images as it was a bit dark.

Greenshank

 Up to date now and there were 6 species of butterfly on the wing today, three of them whites: Large White, Small White, Green-veined White, Red Admiral, Comma and Speckled Wood.

Speckled Wood butterflies
Green-veined White
Comma
Green-veined White in flight


3 comments:

  1. Very nice to get a Marsh Harrier Jeff. Last time I bumped into you we had one at Fly Flats ----oooh memories ! I have the date somewhere ............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised myself - 7th August 2014. How time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that sighting very well too Dave, although the date would have taken some seeking out from my records so thanks for that. Lin was with me and we were on our way back from Keighley when we met you and the Marsh Harrier (my first and only sighting in Calderdale - the harrier, not you 😂).

    ReplyDelete