Saturday 28 September 2024

Hoopoe in Hornsea

 A Hoopoe appeared at Longbeach caravan park a few days ago but I didn't hear of it until yesterday afternoon. I walked over to try and see it, and for a change I was successful. 

It was in a field of long-ish vegetation and there it sat for about 20 minutes after I arrived. Just as I decided to go it took off and flew towards the large pond. A quick repositioning and I saw it land on the grass for a few seconds before it flew off again, but was not refound while I was there.

Hornsea Hoopoe - my first here

Hoopoe with its crest raised, but vegetation in the way
I went back early this morning but couldn't find it again. While I was searching, a Sparrowhawk landed on a fence close by.

 

Sparrowhawk


Pink-footed Geese are flying over most mornings on their to feed further north. I watched a skein of 128 go over on Wednesday.

128 Pink-footed Geese
Zoomed-in shot of PFG

No comments:

Post a Comment