Wednesday 12 October 2016

Missing October Good 'uns

The large numbers of good birds seen up and down the East Coast of Yorkshire have largely passed us by here in Hornsea.

Although we've had a Yellow-browed Warbler, we haven't seen much else. I haven't been able to get out that often due to family illness but to be fair I wouldn't be following the twitchers anyway. If there's a crowd of people I usually go the other way to avoid them :)

I've been checking the beach, cliffs and KP most mornings when I'm not driving West and the best bird seen has been a Grey Plover. I found it on KP on Saturday afternoon and then saw it on South Beach the morning after, then myself and a friend saw 2 over the Mere. This morning there were 2 on the beach along with a Redshank:
Grey Plovers and Redshank
Numbers of Greylag Geese have been building through October and on Sunday morning I counted 891 from KP. Many of the birds wake us up in the morning as they fly from their roosts over our house towards Hornsea Mere:
Greylag Geese heading towards The Mere
As the geese wake me up I get out of bed and check to see how the day is looking. This morning there were 3 Roe Deer in the field behind us, munching on newly-sown crops. Oh deer!!
Roe Deer
Butterflies are now but dim and distant memories, but on Sunday morning on a fading rose flower, we had a Red Admiral in our garden. A nice sight, but one that won't be available until next year now :(

The Easterly winds have been blowing for the last few days and this morning's was quite chilly. I may have to abandon my shorts soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment