Monday 7 November 2016

Waxwings

Wet and windy this morning and about 4 degrees C, but bright, and within 100 yards of home I heard the call of a Waxwing, then saw 2 fly from a hawthorn to the top of a nearby sycamore tree. Watched them through the bins for a minute or so then they flew off south. I went for my camera but I didn't manage to relocate them. Lovely to see and only the second time I've seen Waxwings in Hornsea.

Down at the sea front the waves were crashing in and although I spent half an hour sea-watching, nothing came past.

On to KP and the first bird I saw was a Fieldfare, looking very smart indeed:

I checked the reedbed at Bull Hole for Bittern but it's probably too early yet. There were plenty of Moorhen though - saw 9 altogether.

I set up the scope on the point and looked over to Swan Island and Tree Island. Lots of Greylag Goose (c200) but no White-fronts or Bean Geese.

Just off Tree Island was a single drake Pintail - nice to see as we usually get females:


The Slavonian Grebe was also further out - it's been here for about 10 days now.

Grey Herons continue to fly in regularly and we had 6 this morning - here's a pic of 4 of them, all in one tree:


Goldeneye numbers are building nicely, about 50 this morning. Other duck numbers were 60 Pochard, 40 Gadwall, 50 Wigeon plus uncounted Mallard, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan and Coot. 3 Shoveler were feeding at the base of the reedbed off KP. One of the cygnets had a leg ring that shows it is from the Yorkshire Swan Hospital at York:
472Y red background with white letters


No comments:

Post a Comment