Friday 25 November 2016

Stream Dike this morning

Dry and sunny with a light NE breeze and 7 degrees at 08:30.

After checking the beach for anything interesting (there wasn't) I made my way via the usual route from the sea front and along stream dike towards The Mere. Just 30 or so yards along the stream I was passed by 2 Kingfishers, that came up against the end of the stream and turned back inland. One landed well before the bridge so I slowly approached to try and get a photo or two. I got several pics before the bird took off and went back the way I'd come.
Kingfisher at Stream Dike
 
 
I didn't want to disturb the birds any more than they get on a day to day basis with dog walkers and the like, so I left them to it.

As I walked round the slight bend in the stream I saw a large white bird standing in the stream - a Little Egret. We get good numbers at the Mere and I've seen one on the beach before, but this is my first in the stream. It didn't hang around once it had spotted me...
A Little Egret taking off from Stream Dike
Little Egret circling before heading off to the Mere
 
 
I carried on to The Mere to check out KP, hoping to catch up with the Egret again. Unfortunately I was disappointed as there was little to see at KP, apart from very good numbers of wild fowl and the usual suspects, including a brief song from a Cetti's Warbler.

As I was just taking a short walk to pass the time while my better half was getting ready, I didn't stay long and headed home. As I walked over the small bridge that crosses Stream Dike on Southgate, I stopped and looked over as I always do, hoping to see something like a Kingfisher flying up to The Mere, but I spotted something much better - a Grey Wagtail :)
Grey Wagtail at Stream Dike, Southgate
Grey Wagtail contortionist
I'd seen a Grey Wagtail briefly at KP on Monday and wondered where it had gone - perhaps it's coming down into the stream which is more like its usual habitat? We don't see many around Hornsea so it's great to see one that may stick around for a while.

The pics are a little grainy as it was really dark down in the stream so the ASA rating went up to 6400 to get a decent shutter speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment