Sunday 28 May 2017

Red-footed Falcon at Hornsea Mere

A good walk in the morning was topped off with good views of a Hobby above the cormorant trees on the north side of Hornsea Mere.

Before that, having bumped into John on the south side, a Little Gull was feeding with the Black-headed Gulls.

The Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers and Reed Buntings are all singing their way through the breeding season. Cetti's Warblers are doing the same but I still haven't got a photo of one that isn't blurred or obscured by vegetation. The quest goes on!
Sedge Warbler at The Mere
Sedge Warbler
Reed Warbler
Reed Warbler
The meadows are alive now with damselflies, mainly Blue I think as Azure Damselflies have a "U" on segment 2...
Common Blue Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly
The wild flowers are coming through in profusion but I'm not yet confident of id'ing them without their being in full flower. Another few days to wait then :)

The best of the day was left until the afternoon though when I had a call from John saying there was a Red-footed Falcon at The Mere, north side. Although I usually don't go twitching I couldn't ignore this one as I've never seen Red-footed Falcon in the UK. It s therefore a new Hornsea Mere record for me too. When I got there the bird didn't disappoint and gave good views. No apologies for posting so many photos of this beautiful bird from sunnier climes.
First summer male Red-footed Falcon over Seaton Road hide

A fantastic bird to see over your local patch and many thnaks to John for finding it, and for letting me know so quickly. The bird has been seen again at The Mere, later yesterday and earlier today, so it may be around tomorrow when I'm free to go looking for it once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment