Friday 26 May 2017

Sunny Spring Days

Well the last few days have been gorgeous here in Hornsea. Warm, sunny and dry and it has brought out the best in the local wildlife.

My morning walk on the cliffs was made a lot longer when a Barn Owl flew towards me, so I sat down and waited for it to get near enough to take some pics. Unfortunately Barn Owls have very acute hearing so as soon as it heard the sound of the camera shutter it veered away and flew round me.

I stayed sitting and watched it hunting over the fields, then it dropped onto what I assumed was some prey and didn't come up again for quite a few minutes. When it did take off it had a mouse or vole in its talons so it was a successful attempt.
Barn Owl with short tailed prey
Looks more like a vole than a mouse to me
Singing Skylarks and Meadow Pipits were everywhere and Linnets were collecting food for their young.
Skylark singing from a post
Another Skylark on a post

I eventually made it over to Kirkholme Point where the Cetti's Warblers greeted me with bursts of song as usual. I hope I never get used to hearing these great little birds - often heard but very seldom seen. I'm still trying to get a decent photo of one.

The Garganey had disappeared, but in its place was a smashing drake Pintail - swimming up and down just off Swan Island.
drake Pintail off Swan Island
drake Pintail
drake Pintail

Around the south side of Hornsea Mere the Sedge and Reed Warblers were singing away too in the sunshine, with a few Whitethroat and a Blackcap joining in.

No comments:

Post a Comment