Thursday 2 November 2017

Cowden

I had a good walk around Cowden range this morning in reasonable weather - mostly dry and overcast with a light north westerly breeze.

The number of Blackbirds flying around was immediately obvious and I counted 37 through the morning. The site is enormous though, so as I only covered about 25% of it there were many more I missed.

Down to the south of the site there were good numbers of passerines - Reed Buntings, Tits,  Redwing and finches; together with Pheasants, singing Skylarks and Red-legged Partridges in the fields. It was here in the stubble field that I saw 11 Whooper Swans - 5 adults and 6 juvs.
11 Whoopers
At least 12 Reed Buntings in the hawthorns and hedgerows:
female Reed Bunting
The large pond had 47 Mallards, 4 Teal and a Marsh Harrier took off from one of the partly submerged hawthorns.

Over towards the west pond I flushed a Snipe and also a new species for the site - Water Rail. It took off from about 10 yards to my right and it landed on top of a bramble patch. I almost caught it there but I was too slow getting the camera off my shoulder and all I got were a few shots as it disappeared into the undergrowth.
A headless Water Rail sinking into brambles

Species list for the morning (29):
Whooper Swan - 11
Great Black-backed Gull - 10
Herring Gull -14
Mallard - 47
Teal - 4
Water Rail
Moorhen - 2
Snipe
Barn Owl - 2
Marsh Harrier
Stock Dove
Woodpigeon - 160+
Red legged Partridge - 9
Pheasant - 8
Skylark - 5
Redwing - 7
Wren - 7
Robin - 3
Blackbird - 37
Magpie - 6
Carrion Crow - 6
Dunnock - 8
Tree Sparrow - 5
Long-tailed Tit - 10+
Great Tit - 4
Blue Tit - 4
Goldfinch - 5
Greenfinch
Yellowhammer
Reed Bunting - 13

No comments:

Post a Comment