Sunday 29 October 2017

Chilly and Sunny Circuit of Hornsea Mere

A species list from this morning's walk around The Mere (39):
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe - 6
Cormorant - 12
Grey Heron - 2
Mute Swan - 74
Whooper Swan - 6 (3 adults and 3 juvs)
Greylag Goose - c.400
Canada Goose - c.70
Gadwall - 33
Teal - 6
Mallard - c.30
Tufted Duck - c.100
Long-tailed Duck - 1 female type off KP
Goldeneye - 17
Moorhen - 2
Coot - c.50
Black-headed Gull - c.350
Herring Gull - c.40
Common Gull - 3
Wood Pigeon - c.200
Wren
Robin
Blackbird - 15
Mistle Thrush
Long-tailed Tit - 8
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Jay
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow - 6
Reed Bunting - 2
Chaffinch
Goldfinch - c.35

It was a cool day early on with a chilly north west wind which was felt at its coolest on the sea front and at Kirkholme Point and showers blew in a few times but they were never too prolonged. It was noticable that there were no Cetti's Warblers singing as I walked around The Mere this morning, but on Friday there were 6 singing.

Rainbow over a showery South Beach
Long-tailed Duck between KP and Swan Island
I walked along the north side fields hoping to see a few winter thrushes but there were none, although a good number of finches were flitting about in the hedgerows.

I met a friend on the way down to Wassand Hide and he told me that 6 Whooper Swans had landed in front of the hide but had then flown west into the furthest corner. Hopefully I'd be able to see them but the reeds are very high and they obstruct the view from the hide.
The drive to Wassand
One of too many Grey Squirrels in the wood
On reaching the hide I opened the window and was met by a strong gust of cold wind! I kept my hat and gloves on I can assure you :)

The Whooper Swans were still there but were almost hidden from view by the reeds. Luckily when the wind blew it flattened them so I could get a decent view. I had the Nikon camera with me so I could zoom in to get a few photos, but the further you zoom in the worse the picture quality is. These are record shots at best of the 3 adult and 3 juvenile Whoopers:
Adult and juvenile Whooper Swan

No comments:

Post a Comment