Tuesday 21 July 2020

Goxhill and The Mere - 7 miles

A really enjoyable walk this morning in the dry and sunny weather. Walked by Rolston through Goxhill and down to the Mere and thoroughly enjoyed every minute today. 

While walking towards the golf course I was watching my feet as a horse had been along the bridlepath so I didn't want to step in any fresh 'oss muck. I looked up and I was face to face with a fox that had appeared from nowhere. Lovely moment that was gone in a blink as the fox ran off along the track and cut into a field.

Lots of Gatekeeper butterflies though there and into Goxhill.

CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR A LARGER IMAGE
Gatekeeper
A young Moorhen was paddling in the pond and seemed quite unaware of me watching it.
a Moorhen in the making
Yellowhammers are doing well this year. My maximum count on a single walk has been 12 singing males, I  only saw 7 this morning but still a good number. This one was running out of steam and he could only manage the little-bit-of-bread part of his song - no cheese required on his plate.
Male Yellowhammer with worn plumage
I sat down in the grass for a while and I was amazed at the number of grasshoppers leaping around.
Field Grasshopper
Common Green Grasshopper
probably Meadow Grasshopper
Two Hobby were perched in a tree top as I walked along the south side of the Mere. I took a few photos but they were too far away to be useful.

Small Copper butterflies were showing well in first and second field. They are brilliant butterflies but as their name suggests they are small and quite difficult to follow around until they settle.
Small Copper
Small Copper
Small Copper
Small Copper
the final Small Copper photo for this post
As I walk around Hornsea and its surrounding villages I see some amazing wildlife, but I also see some wonderful man-made structures that are sometimes awe-inspiring. Just think of the time and skill required to construct this farm out-building, not a house, just an out-building for animals or a goods store...
fabulous brick work in a farm building

No comments:

Post a Comment