Sunday 13 June 2021

The Elusive Butterfly *

* see end of post 

At last I saw a Speckled Wood this morning. After a poor start to Spring butterflies have been really down in numbers and in variety of species seen too, so an addition of two this morning was a nice surprise. Red Admiral was the other new species.

Red Admiral is about the right time but I usually see Speckled Wood in April or first week in May so this is a month late. 

Speckled Wood at last
I saw 4 dragonflies this morning - a Broad Bodied Chaser and 3 other large dragons which would not settle so I didn't get an id on them.

Damselflies are now out in numbers with 90% of them Common Blue, 9% Blue-tailed and 1% the good ones that I've missed 😂
 

female Blue-tailed Damselfly
Common Blue Damselfly
male and female Common Blue with an onlooker
This time of year is good for seeing young birds and Starlings seem to have had a really good breeding season with lots of youngsters on the wing. I'm having to fill my feeders twice a day to keep pace with their appetites.

Starlinglet  

young Carrion Crow
young Long-tailed Tits

young wabbit

 The Sand Martins will also be producing young 'uns soon but are busy incubating at the moment.

Sand Martin at nest hole

Orchids are sticking their heads up all over the place and Common Spotted Orchids were the first to be spotted by me:

Common Spotted Orchid at Wassand


The Bee Orchids I used to enjoy seeing on the cliffs here at Hornsea have no chance of being seen again, as where they grow has been cleared by a bulldozer starting work on a new set of caravan pitches at Hornsea Lakes - even though planning permission has not been given yet  😒 the plans show the caravans sited quite a way from the cliff edge so why they have to ruin the cliff top habitat I have no idea 😠

South Cliff top soil and vegetation cleared

* The Elusive Butterfly was a song written and recorded by Bob Lind back in 1966.

No comments:

Post a Comment