Tuesday 18 January 2022

A Frosty Morning

 We got up this morning to the sight of Venus still shining brightly as the sun rose beautifully in the East.

Venus just about visible in the centre of the photo

The first new moon of the year (a Wolf Moon) was also still shining brightly as I stepped out onto the frosty road for my walk. The thermometer said -1 and my head said go back to bed.

Awooooo, werewolves of Hornsea...
I didn't turn back though, I continued and I was glad I did as the walk was great, with frosty beauty sparkling all round me once I got to the fields and footpaths.

The low sun's golden rays cast long shadows and gave many opportunities for interesting photos. Here's a few of those I took before the sun got too high.

Some of last year's umbels, suitably frost covered
As I was looking through the frozen umbels I noticed a ladybird on one them, sitting at the divergence of the flower stems. When I first saw it there was a slight covering of frost on it, and as I got the camera sorted out the sun started weaving its magic and the frost melted. Hopefully the little beast was still OK after a night in the fridge!

How was the Mere today?

Well, thank you for asking 😃 it was a tad cold and well frozen in places. The ducks and gulls were sitting on the ice, providing good views to check them for anything interesting.

A view from Decoy Hide

Mallards on the ice from first field
I was intending to do the Mere circuit today, but the icy pavements made me decide to stick to the fields where it's easier walking, rather than being at risk of looking like Bambi skating on the ice.
 
Early signs of the coming spring were in evidence too so that put a little more energy into my tiring limbs.
Spring is on its way (but don't hold your breath)
Meanwhile we have a few flowers to be going on with, such as this Winter Heliotrope along the entrance to KP.

No comments:

Post a Comment