Tuesday 1 February 2022

Yesterday and Today *

The Brambling was showing well again this morning in the windy but sunny set aside hedgerow, so I took even more photos to add to my collection.

I could go further back in time for a musical connection and go for (B)Rambling Rose by Nat King Cole in 1962, rather than repeat my earlier post of (B)Ramblin' On My Mind by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers from 1966 - but I won't do that.I'm sticking with Yesterday and Today because the pics are from....yesterday and today.

Brambling looking stunning this morning
Brambling ready for take off

Young Mute Swan from the hide
Sheep wool on the lower branches of a hawthorn
Barnacle Geese still here

The Barnacle Geese have been in the field next to the footpath for the past week and I've taken several counts, ending up with between 157 and 168. They are pretty active and the field is undulating so getting an accurate count is challenging - for me anyway.

4 Scaup battling the waves this morning
Greylag Goose landing

Yesterday was a fine and sunny but blustery morning too and I enjoyed good views of Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Yellowhammers and Redwing among others. GS'Peckers are drumming regularly in the woods now but although I've heard a Green Woodpecker briefly, I haven't seen one yet this year.

A few of the 17 Yellowhammers near Weatherfield Farm

13 of 17 Yellowhammers
Redwing (just one of 30+)
Stock Doves in the set aside


* Yesterday and Today - you have to be a Beatles geek to get this one as this was the title of a  USA album with songs from Help, Rubber Soul and Revolver, plus a couple of singles.

No comments:

Post a Comment