Friday 4 March 2022

Spring Is Here

 This is only my opinion, but I reckon Spring is here already. Other opinions are available, please contact your usual supplier of weather and seasonal opinions for alternate information.

Leaves coming out on hawthorn bushes, blackthorn bushes in flower, ground ivy flowering and green alkanet flowering - all these tell me that Spring is here!

Ground Ivy
Green Alkanet
Hawthorn leaves opening
Blackthorn flowers

The Black-necked Grebe is still present on the Mere but won't come near enough for me to get good shots, I'll have to go to press with these distant shots instead.

Black-necked Grebe
Black-necked Grebe
Black-necked Grebe with f Goldeneye
Black-necked Grebe with f Goldeneye

More roe deer photos follow I'm afraid, but at least these aren't obscurred by foliage 😀😀

 On my way towards Wassand the other morning I was confronted by 5 roe deer, including 3 roebucks with antlers at different stages of growth. I think they are from left to right - a young one, a fully mature buck with clean antlers and one that is a few years old with velvet still on its antlers.

3 Roebucks - young, mature and middling?

Young doe, mature doe and mature roebuck
The older two roebucks decided to run past me rather than going the other way as the others did.

It was great to see them so close for a change.

A couple of Common Buzzards have been hanging around the west end of the Mere over the past few days. Hopefully they will breed close by as they did last year.

Common Buzzard

No comments:

Post a Comment