Thursday 31 March 2022

Treecreeper

 I found a Treecreeper nest building a few days ago so I've been following its progress.

My apologies for the shaky video but hand holding a 600mm lens for a while, waiting for the bird to enter and exit the nest, was a challenge. I'll take a tripod in future.

I haven't seen 2 birds together yet so maybe only a single bird is building. Do Treecreepers (BTO code TC so I'll use this shorthand) build a nest before they find a mate?

Anyway, it has been bringing in all sorts of material:

Downy feather
Sheep wool?

Small twig
Large piece of bark

I've also seen it carry in a few pieces of ivy stalk but no pics of that. This is the 5th day I've been checking on it so it must be nearly finished surely?!?

BBC Wildlife Magazine say: 

"The treecreeper starts with a base of twigs and then add grass, moss, lichen and wood chips. It takes about a week to build the whole nest.

The female then lines the nest with hair, wool and feathers.

Given that a clutch size is about 5-6, the nest can get quite crowded towards the end."

 I've seen a bird going to the nest with feathers and wool already even though twigs etc. are still being added. More research needed 🙄

No comments:

Post a Comment