Friday 28 July 2023

Common Terns, Brown Hawker and Cuckoo

Common Terns were taking no prisoners this morning, seeing off anything that came within shooing distance - including me 😂

I walked on the beach, minding my own business, when a tern came down at me at gave me a scream. Suspecting a protection display I continued to the groyne, looked over and there were 4 young terns sat on the beach, then I understood the greeting.

Common Tern saying hello and bugger off
Common Tern with food
Adult Common Tern with food for juvs
Fish gratefully received
Adult and juvenile Common Terns

On KP I was looking for dragonflies and found several Migrant Hawkers, a Black-tailed Skimmer and the one I was really after - Brown Hawker. It was eating what looked like a common blue damselfly.

Brown Hawker munching a damselfly

Back to yesterday morning and I was on my way home through first field along the south side of the Mere when I spotted a Cuckoo coming over the Mere. Luckily it landed on a fence post so I managed to get in position for a photo or two without scaring it off.

Cuckoo in first field

It took off and flew south but came back 10 seconds or so later.

Cuckoo in first field


No comments:

Post a Comment