Friday 7 July 2023

Dragonflies Lead The Way

 Hot and sunny with a bit of a strong breeze sums up the last few days. I was a bit worried that dragonflies wouldn't be up and doing but I was wrong!

Common Darter
Black-tailed Skimmer
Black-tailed Skimmer
Ruddy Darter

All the above were taken on Wednesday 5 July during a walk from home to Goxhill, so not at the Mere.

Black-tailed Skimmer in first field today

I also saw a Brown Hawker this morning in second field but it eluded me for a photo. Pity as I haven't got a Brown Hawker in the lens this year yet.

Insects abounded this morning with grasshoppers all over the place.

Lesser Marsh Grasshopper at the Mere
Meadow Grasshopper at the Mere

Gatekeeper butterflies are on the wing around the Mere and further afield, lovely butterflies and always worth stopping to watch.

Gatekeeper butterfly

On my outward journey from home I walk along a hedgerow/arable field field edge and I found a single Pyramidal Orchid among the long grass. Wonderful to see something other than Common Spotted at last, now that the Bee Orchids have disappeared from south cliffs.

Pyramidal Orchid with Marmalade Hoverfly
As above

This morning there was a large movement of Curlew over the Mere. Most of the ones I saw and heard were calling/singing as they went West and South West.

Curlew going West over the Mere this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment