Saturday 9 September 2023

Autumn Creeps In

 Quite a bit has been seen and heard since my last update so let's cut to the chase and crack on to get through some images.

I'm not a fan of Grey Squirrels. They are an introduced species and have taken a dreadful toll on our native Red Squirrels through disease and by displacing them from territories. However, they are here (in ever increasing numbers) and so form part of our wildlife.

Grey Squirrel in Wassand Wood

I went to the hide last Monday to see if there were any damselflies and dragonflies about - there were but unfortunately only the usual species. While I was there I spent a few minutes 'togging the birds going past.

Hobby with dragonfly
Hobby missing a dragonfly
Hobby
Cormorant

Grey Heron

 While in the hide I was pleased to find a Hawthorn Shield Bug on my hat 😀

Hawthorn Shield Bug

Autumn arrived with little fanfare on Tuesday and heralded a few days of foggy/misty weather. Picturesque if nothing else.

The Pines with early morning mist

Mist drifting across the track to Weatherhill
Misty sheep and spider's webs

I walked along the sea front on a couple of misty mornings just to vary my route and saw quite a number of birds passing by on their migration. Most were just black dots but some were close enough to photograph and to id.

Guillemot
Great Crested Grebe
Redshanks
Sandwich Terns
Common Scoter
Teal

Behind the promenade on Grainger's Field the partially leucistic Jackdaw was flapping about as usual.

Magpie wannabe

Up to date with a few from this morning now - nothing new I'm afraid but still a lovely bright morning to be out and about.

A patch of Bird's Foot Trefoil in second field
Cormorant roost is slowly building in numbers
Ruddy Darter
Harlequin Ladybird in disguise

Starting and ending this post with invasive/non-native species wasn't my intention, but it book ends it quite tidily!?!


No comments:

Post a Comment