Friday 22 September 2023

Willow Emerald Damselflies at The Mere

 On the edge of Wassand Wood this morning I found at least 2 Willow Emerald damselflies. I've seen them before at the Mere, last year and earlier this year near the hide, but this time I managed some decent photos. They are stunningly beautiful creatures.

In the same area were several Common Darters and a few Migrant Hawkers. 

Common Darter

Summer isn't quite over yet with 3 Red Admirals and 2 Speckled Wood butterflies enjoying the morning sun.

Red Admiral
Speckled Wood

Over in first field I came across a Stonechat in the rough area by the fence. It was very active and flighty so I could get close for good photos, but these cropped images will do to record the sighting.

Stonechat in first field
Stonechat with food

I'll finish this short post with a general shot of the Mere, framed by reeds on the near (south) side, trees on the far (north) side and by hawthorns to the east and willows to the west.

Hornsea Mere - framed by reeds, trees, hawthorns and willows



No comments:

Post a Comment