Monday 16 October 2023

A Cracking Autumn Day

 What a fabulous autumn day last Saturday - brilliant sunshine, clear blue sky and a bit chilly. Perfect.

Goldcrest at the woodland edge

Goldcrest

The number of Common Darters had to be seen to be believed. I saw 9 at once, each one of them on a separate fence post.

One of many Common Darters

Migrant Hawkers were flying too but but I only saw 3 of them.

A Comma and 2 Red Admirals added to the colourful nature on show...

Can you tell what it is yet?

Yes, a Red Admiral

Comma
Comma

Whooper Swans have been seen at The Mere for the last few days as they arrive to over-winter in the UK. Seven of them flew over me as I went along the south side footparth.

Whooper Swans leaving the Mere
4 of 7 Whoopers
On the fence posts,as well as Common Darters, were several species of fly, one I'd never seen before - a Noon Fly 😀
Noon Fly (Mesembrina meridiana)
The sunflower seeds are being demolished by all manner of birds including Blue and Great Tit, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and probably Linnet as well - but I haven't seen them actually on the flower heads yet.
Sunflower minus a lot of its seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment