Saturday 13 January 2024

South Cliffs, Wassand Wood and Bedroom Window Wildlife

 The flooded fields got the better of me for a few days as my wellies were leaking and replacements only arrived last Monday afternoon. The fields are gradually drying out and the Mere water level is (very) slowly going down.

I walked on the cliffs this morning to check that nothing interesting hadn't arrived since my last visit - it hadn't, or if it did I missed it - no change there then 😂 only the usual pair of Stonechat and a few Mipits.

Female Stonechat
Male Stonechat
Male Stonechat

One of four Sanderling on the beach
 

Although I've been getting out and clocking up the miles, the chances of getting any wildlife sightings while keeping ones feet dry are slim, so I spent a fair old while looking out of the bedroom window in the afternoons. Plenty of geese, gulls, Linnets and deer to enjoy, plus a male Marsh Harrier drifted over going south west.

Roe Deer

Up to 121 Linnet and 12+ Yellowhammer
Yellowhammers
I had 7 Roe Deer in the field at one time

Up to 39 Greylags and a Pink-footed Goose

Two Common Gulls
 

 A walk through Wassand Wood in the new wellies confirmed that the water level along the path to the hide was still under water, at least this time the water had settled and wasn't murky so I could see the paving stones.

Jelly Ear fungus on a rotting log
Cormorant from the hide

Paving stones under water but visible
Deep water warning
 

Here's hoping for improved wildlife sightings to keep me going through the coming cold spell - at least it shouldn't be wet (but don't quote me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment