Thursday 30 May 2024

New Plant and New Insect

 I came across two new species that I haven't seen before this week. I have simple tastes and something like this pleases me very much.

First, while I photographing Hobby by the Mere I spotted a small blue bug. I needed some id help and it turned out to be a Nettle Weevil, spookily enough I found it on a nettle ๐Ÿ˜‚

Nettle weevil (Phillobius pomaceus)

Then a day or so later I was walking past a pond and saw a plant that I had not noticed before. Again, some id help was needed and voila - Marsh Cinquefoil. Lots of it too in the pond margin.

Marsh Cinquefoil with what could be an Early Bumblebee

Marsh Cinquefoil (Potentilla palustris)

I seem to remember this plant from the tea card series I used to collect as a boy - the name's Bond, Brooke Bond๐Ÿ˜€ you got a free card with every packet of tea, and we went through a lot of tea! I never managed to get a full album, there always seemed to be one or two I just couldn't find despite swapping duplicates with like-minded boys in the school yard.

I saw a couple of Hobby down by the Mere and tried to get a tad closer but couldn't. Distant shots it is then, but cropped so the subject is identifiable.

Hobby along the south side


 The weather hasn't been exactly warm and consequently there has been a shortage of butterfly sightings. However, I saw several Small Tortoiseshells together...

Small Tortoiseshell caterpillars

Young birds are emerging from their nests and Starlings are among those now being seen at the Mere.

Juv Starling

At last I found my dragonfly earlier in the week - a Hairy Dragonfly in Wassand Wood.

Hairy Dragonfly

Damselflies are out in abundance in whichever patch of long grass you care to examine. Common Blues in the main but I'm searching for Azure in and amongst.

I'll finish with another insect, a bee this time. Early Bumblebees are very small but a lovely little pollinators. They are numerous so they should be easy to find.

Early Bumblebee (Bombus pratorum)

No comments:

Post a Comment