Sunday 7 July 2024

LBJ's (Little Brown Jobs)

 Birders have a generic term for small brown birds - little brown jobs or LBJ's for short.

These include all manner of species and today I got reasonable photos of two such examples.

Firstly a Treecreeper. Brown and white admittedly but usually you only see the brown back as it climbs up a tree.

Treecreeper in usual pose

This morning I watched a Treecreeper climbing a tree from the bottom and then it found a perfect place to stop for a while and preen. A perfect opportunity to get closer and get some photos.

Treecreeper preening in the sun

Then this afternoon from my study window I saw a juvenile Dunnock catching insects in a cotoneaster that I've given a really hard cut back. I'm tempted to remove it all together as it is too close to the house, but now I've seen what treasures it holds I may rethink.

juvenile Dunnock

They may well be LBJ's but I think they are something special when you see them up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment