Tuesday 28 January 2020

Kirkholme Point and Mere South Side to Wassand

January to date - 146 miles
Year to date - 146 miles

Another lovely day was promised but as I stepped out it was 2 degrees, grey and overcast. Never mind, at least I'm not busy today so my time is my own. I went down to Kirkholme Point first to see if the Long-tailed Ducks are still there.

As I reached the jetties where the boats are tied up the sun was just breaking through the cloud cover, which would have normally been great but the sun was right in my eyes as I looked over the water and photos were a bit of a challenge as I was shooting into the sun. I moved along the shore a bit to try and get a better angle.

Only one Long-tailed Duck again this morning and it stayed well out so I couldn't get a very good image. It's plumage is developing nicely with the dark patch and a pale head more in evidence now.
Distant Long-tailed Duck off KP jetties
There were good numbers of Pochard, Goldeneye and Gadwall with a few Teal flying west but nothing else of particular interest so I headed for the south side footpath.

Into first field and I was greeted by a raucous Cetti's Warbler singing from the willow and bramble scrub to the right of the gate. I walked over to try and catch a glimpse of the bird but as usual, although it sounded to be right in front of me, I couldn't see a thing 😂

Nothing to see here all the way though first field but at the bottom of second field a Kingfisher was in the shore line willows. No chance of a photo as it was well obscured by branches but nice to see.

Through into third field/Snipe Grounds (where the path gets really boggy in winter) and the sun was well out now. I still have my hand warmer in my pocket though as it was chilly and didn't get above 5 degrees all day.

The Barnacle Goose herd was in the crop field just the other side of the hedgerow so I laid down and took a few photos from underneath the hawthorns. Another ear-bashing from my nearest and dearest when I get home for trying my best to collect as much mud and undergrowth as possible on my clothes🙄

Maximum count of the geese this year has been 154.
Barnacle Geese
The Kestrel that is usually seen along the path each day was joined by another this morning.

The set-aside field was next on my route but the large flock of Linnet was absent today, maybe put off by the tractor that was hacking and flailing the hedgerow along the footpath. However, I caught up with them later as they were in the tree tops down towards the hide. I took several photos and counted them when I got home - a total of 226 today. There were probably a few more but that's my highest count so far this winter.
226 Linnet over 4 photos
Here's a few photos without the red marks which ensure I don't double count.
Some of the Linnet flock
In the wood I saw/heard 4 Great Spotted Woodpeckers and heard a Green Woodpecker again. Treecreepers are a bit scarce this year but Goldcrest are usually to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment