Friday 1 May 2020

May Each Day In Your Year...

Holy moly, it's May already! We are one third of the way through 2020 and how the hell did that happen without me noticing?

A bristly 6 degrees and a healthy westerly head wind welcomed my first steps outside this morning. I still have long trousers on, and although I long to get my shorts on, it ain't happening yet matey.

Sometimes you just need a little something to lift you up and get you going, and a small flower in a tiny shaft of sunlight stood out and lit up the morning.

CLICK ON A PHOTO TO SEE A LARGER IMAGE
Red Campion looking champion
 Brown Hares haven't been particularly numerous, but it's probably just me getting up too late to see them. Not on this occasion though, four of them romping through the grass up towards the top of the field.
Brown Hares, 4 of them

 I said in a previous post that Song Thrush numbers have been good this year thus far and I see and hear them every morning. They are probably the soundtrack to my 2020.
Song Thrush
Song Thrush, same bird as above in different light
The Mere shoreline was as empty as the queue at the bar at your local this morning. It was a bit better the other day when 4 Common Sandpipers turned up (and flew off as a dog walker also turned up).
Common Sandpipers
Common Sandpipers in flight
 Little Egrets have been regular visitors recently so this morning I noted that I hadn't seen one as I walked along the Mere footpath and turned for home. A few showers were a welcome addition to the dry and breezy weather that we've had all through April, and I'm sure the farmers and gardeners will have been grateful for the rain. The sun also put in a brief appearance and I was lucky enough to catch the only sighting of Little Egret at the same time.

Little Egret
Little Egret, a few steps closer

No comments:

Post a Comment