Friday 29 May 2020

(To Everything There Is A Season) Tern! Tern! Tern!

Miles walked this year - 875
Bird species encountered today - 49
Notables - Common Tern (2)

Byrds a plenty on this morning's walk around the exciting wilderness that is south Hornsea.

I started off with watching a few Sedge Warblers flitting around the hedgerows, still singing away for all they're worth.

PLEASE CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR A LARGER IMAGE
Sedge Warbler
The Whitethroats are doing the same thing and I saw/heard a total of 11 of them today. Whitethroats seem to be doing well locally, and this is borne out nationally in the latest Breeding Bird Survey report from the BTO which shows a 21% increase over the last 23 years. Nice to see one of our breeding birds increasing.
Whitethroat
Yesterday I walked along the River Derwent for a few miles just to provide a bit of light relief from walking the same route almost every day. I counted 27 Willow Warblers. There weren't as many on my local walk today but I still ended up with 9 which isn't bad at all.
Willow Warbler
As I was watching Swallows and Sand Martins flying low over the water, and some of the Swallows touching the surface, I heard the unmistakable call of a Common Tern approaching. Next thing I knew it was right overhead:
Common Tern making itself heard

Swallow low over the water
Sand Martin taking a breather
I saw another two Common Blue butterflies today, on Bird's Foot Trefoil this time.
Common Blue
Common Blue looking a bit worn
This continuing spell of dry and breezy weather is getting a bit worrying as all the fields and meadows are drying out. House Martins will be having a hard time finding mud for their nests, but they are capable of flying good distances to source their building materials. Our pond is getting low so it's time to top it up and upset the resident frogs again 😂
One of our frogs

No comments:

Post a Comment