Saturday 21 November 2020

Take It As Red

 Well what a change from yesterday! It was 2 degrees as I walked out yesterday and it was 10 degrees today. I nearly put my shorts back on 😂

Straight down to the Mere then to see what's about. The sky was clearing nicely as I walked through the fields and soon the sun shone brightly as the clouds moved out of the way.

In the hawthorn field the Redwings were present in good numbers again - I counted more than 50 though it's hard to get a decent count as they are so flighty, and fly off as soon as they see any movement. Just 3 Fieldfares today in the tree tops.

Good autumnal colours have been few and far between for some reason this year, with the wind seemingly taking most of the leaves away before they have time to provide a real visual spectacle.

Best I can do for now
The relatively short grass (courtesy of the sheep grazing here often) provides a good habitat for waxcap fungi and I found what I think are Scarlet Waxcap this morning.

Scarlet Waxcap

Scarlet Waxcap closer view
On the way home the drake Long-tailed Duck was out in the middle of the water with a few Goldeneye, but too distant for photos today.
 
A Shelduck flew in with a couple of Mallard and landed on the edge of first field. I walked down to get a better view and a photo or two.
Shelduck off first field

Whooper Swans have been seen regularly over the last couple of months but usually very early in the morning or at dusk, with just a few flying in mid-afternoon. Pity they don't stay longer on the Mere and it would be nice to understand what makes them seek other water bodies to feed on. Depth of water? Specific food? Lack of disturbance? All of the above?

No comments:

Post a Comment