Sunday 29 November 2020

Snow Buntings and Woodcock

 Having checked the stubble field along the cliff tops many times through the last couple of months and seeing nothing but Mipits and Skylarks, I was pleased to be rewarded with a flock of 30+ Snow Buntings yesterday and today. I also flushed a couple of Woodcock - the first of the season for me.

some of the Snow Bunting flock

male, female and juv?

I managed to get a few photo of the birds on the ground, but they are very hard to locate in a big field with their colouring merging so well into the vegetation.

A few Snow Buntings but well hidden

The flock was very mobile this morning and only visited the beach twice while I was there. They circled the field several times before disappearing into the mist.

30 Snow Buntings - almost all the flock

Out of focus, but shows m/f/j plumages

Another view of different plumages

The second Woodcock I flushed - managed to fire off a few frames as it flew towards the trees...

Woodcock, off to find better cover

No comments:

Post a Comment