Tuesday 29 December 2020

Snow Buntings, Ships and a Late Starling

 Yesterday I saw 40+ Snow Buntings in the stubble field on Rolston Cliffs. They were in two small flocks of about 20 each but the light was very poor and they weren't approachable at all. Today the light was better so I tried to get some photos of them.

It took a while before I managed to find any Snow Buntings at all. I quartered the field starting from the cliff top path and working towards the road. I got about 80 yards down the field before I saw the birds taking off about 100 yards away. They flew towards the cliff top and I lost them over the edge so I guessed they had landed on the beach as I have seen them do several times. I got to the edge and searched the beach but couldn't find them. A minute or so later I heard them calling as they took off behind me from the field again. How did they do that? 

Anyway, I ended up walking a long way, traversing the field a few times before I got some serviceable photos. I left them in peace and set off home.

Snow Bunting overhead
21 of the 23 Snow Buntings
A few of the birds in nice light
Incoming
On the ground - usually I couldn't get close enough

Final Snow Bunting photo
While I was wandering up and down the very soggy stubble field I put up 6 Skylarks (sorry Skylarks, not intentional) and a Kestrel flew over the cliff top path with a Starling in its talons. No photos of the Skylarks but I got a few of the Kestrel. Lucky really as I was munching on a banana when it appeared and these were taken with one hand 🤣🤣

Kestrel carrying a Starling

There were 7 ships out in the bay, probably still riding out the bad weather from Storm Bella as I could see anchor chains on a couple of them. Also one was in front of Flamborough Head which made a quite photogenic shot.

It would be nice if we could have a few dry days please, to give the land time to dry out a bit. That's my new year's wish - a bit less rain 😎

No comments:

Post a Comment