Monday 7 December 2020

A Cold and Frosty and Beautiful Morning

 We had a drop in temperature to -1 last night so this morning was cold. It was icy underfoot and although walking boots are great for rough terrain, they aren't really made for walking on icy pavements - cue me creeping along looking like Bambi on the frozen pond 😂

Once I got to the footpaths the going was much better so I could stride out properly and get a bit warmer. The frost was really showing well on the plants:

Frozen umbel

Teasels

Ice crystals on a tree branch

The mist was quite thick and reduced visibility to about 100 yards on my out through the fields so scanning the Mere was not particularly profitable. I could hear Pink-footed Geese flying north overhead but I couldn't see most of them although about 400 went through a gap in the clouds, giving me chance to count them. 

Once it started clearing on my way back I could see Swan Island, and a look over the water from second field revealed the juv Common Scoter still present. More Pinkies were going over too with an additional 300 seen.

I walked to first and second fields again yesterday afternoon to hopefully get a better view of the drake Smew that has been here for a few days along with two females. I saw the drake in the murky morning from a long way off and the two redheads were closer. I managed to see the drake again and had a bit better view but it was still too far away for photos. 

The drake Long-tailed Duck was also out in the morning but only very briefly in the afternoon.

Three Whooper Swans left the Mere while I was there in the afternoon but four stayed on for a while on Swan Island Spit. A female Goosander was on the far side of the spit.

The juv Common Scoter was showing quite well yesterday afternoon and I took a few photos just for the record.

juv Common Scoter in the late afternoon light

No comments:

Post a Comment