Monday 22 March 2021

Otter Than Yesterday

 A fine, sunny and dry day today. Still got that sneaky cool westerly breeze, but it is a breeze and not a wind so all is well.

Started the day with a heads-up from Jon saying there was a White-fronted Goose, Common Scoter and Mandarin at the Mere. I got there as soon as I could which was still too late as off first field there was hardly a bird or duck to be seen. I soon found the probable reason...

An Otter at last
My first Otter sighting of the year. If I'd have got my camera ready sooner then the photos would have been better, as it was heading away from me when I first got on to it. It was coming to the surface and yawning or playing with something in its mouth as it was showing its teeth a lot of the time.
Nice gnashers
Otter at the Mere
I didn't see the Mandarin or the Scoter (although the Scoter was still about, but very distant I found out later) but I did see the White-fronted Goose in a field rather than on the water. I got a few photos through the hedge and into the sun so not the best but not bad.

White-fronted Goose (first winter)
Over in the wood Stock Doves are present and are audible most days, along with woodpeckers drumming and the usual finches and tits. The Green Woodpecker was calling again but was not seen.
Stock Dove
I had 3 Chiff Chaffs singing yesterday morning in the wood and there were three again today. One was pretty close so I snapped it up.
Chiff Chaff singing
Over the weekend I walked on the cliffs and found 2 Snow Buntings in the stubble field. They weren't there yesterday or this morning but I'll check back again tomorrow.
Snow Buntings
Also over the weekend I got what may be the last photos of the Slavonian Grebes for this Spring as they have disappeared from the Mere now.
Slav Grebe among the Tufted Ducks
This week promises to be fine and dry and hopefully the wind will shift to be more favourable for migrating birds to come in to us. It would be good to see a Wheatear or Sand Martin before the end of March, but we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment