Sunday 7 March 2021

Wildlife Awakens and An OCD Woodpecker?

 The past week has seen a general increase in the sightings of wildlife locally. The warmer weather and longer days are gradually working their magic.

Too many of these in the wood for my liking

Grey tree rat - I'm not a fan
A pollen fest for this bumble bee
Roebuck in the morning sun
Same Roebuck checking me out
A single Brown Hare

I've only seen one Brown Hare at any one time in the fields this year, which is a bit worrying. In previous years I've seen several together by this time. I live in hope that more will appear soon.

I walk down the woodland edge most mornings and the Great Spotted Woodpeckers are drumming all over the place. I noticed a line of 'pecker holes in a tree and marvelled at the alignment of them. They seem to be drilled in a line down the centre of the tree - a woodpecker with OCD perhaps? 😂

Where will the next one go?

Question. Do Great Spotted Woodpeckers ever reuse old nest holes? I have seen active nests and checked them the next year and have never seen one being reused by woodpeckers. I've searched online for an answer but haven't found anything to help me resolve this one yet.

 A Kestrel has been patrolling the fields over the last few days and often perches for long periods on the top of hawthorn bushes. Sometimes it sits patiently while I fumble with my camera then it flies off just as I point the lens towards it. This time it didn't fly off..

A patient Kestrel

 Our long-staying birds are still here with Smew, Red-crested Pochard, Scaup, Long-tailed Duck and Slavonian Grebe to be seen every morning if you have a scope. The Slav Grebe was joined by another on Friday. As I mention every time I post about them, these birds stay well off shore usually so a longer lens or digi-scope are needed.

Distant Slav Grebe

Distant Slav Grebe and Goldeneye

Long-tailed Duck

This morning's walk was very enjoyable with birds singing and wildlife showing well. I am trying to limit the number of photos I take as the processing of them is very time consuming. It's hard to change the habit of a lifetime though!

Dunnock
Song Thrush
Fieldfare
Chaffinch

No comments:

Post a Comment