Monday 4 July 2022

Butterflies and Dragonflies

 An invertebrate morning along the Mere south side today with 2 new species for the year - one butterfly and one dragonfly.

I was hoping for Gatekeeper and so I was more than happy when one turned up, and only one for the whole morning too!

First Gatekeeper of the year for me

Also down the same strip of long grass on the eastern side of a hedgerow, out of the westerly wind, were a couple of Common Darter dragonflies. I saw about 4 more too.

Common Darter, one of half a dozen

Butterflies were everywhere today, led in numbers by Meadow Browns. No Skippers at all and only 3 whites (2 Large Whites and 1 Green-veined White).

Green-veined White
Ringlet
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
Ringlet
A worn and damaged Red Admiral
Meadow Brown

Small Copper

 

I watched a strange looking fly land on a stem of grass and wondered what it was. I took a few photos and it looked like a cranefly, maybe two? It also resembled a scene from a movie cliff-hanger ending so I had to add a caption 😂😂😂

I hope help comes soon, I can't hold on much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment