Sunday 26 June 2022

Great Wildlife at Hornsea Mere

 I was sorely tempted to have WILDLIFE as the heading for this entry, as that is the name of Wings' first album. A bit too obscure though, with not enough words for a decent pun.

Another breezy day with a south westerly coming in at about 20 mph, but dry and warm and sunny so no worries and another grand day for walking.

My first decent bird of the morning was very decent indeed - a Barn Owl hunting over the meadow along Southorpe.

Barn Owl with farmhouse roof as a background
Barn Owl hunting

For the second succesive day I saw 8 species of butterfly along the south side - including Large Skipper.   White butterflies are emerging again and I saw at least 5 Large Whites.

Large Skipper






Warblers are still singing with the Chiffchaff and Whitethroat being the most obvious, followed by Blackcap and Sedge Warbler.

Sedge Warbler in Heslop's

Blackcap singing

The Lapwings were in good form today, making sure nothing was posing a risk to their young and for the first time I saw them see off a Brown Hare. I watched the hare decide the area was not a safe place any more, so it ran from the bottom of the field towards the footpath at the top of the field, towards me. I reckoned it was going to cross the footpath about 50 yards from where I was, so I made my way back as fast as I could to intercept it and I got it as it jumped over the long grass and into the next field.

Brown Hare leaping over long grass



Two species of dragonfly were observed this morning, Black-tailed Skimmer and Broad-bodied Chaser. I nearly got a pic of BTS but a jogger scared it off just as I was getting in position for a photo so I made do with just BBC. 
Broad-bodied Chaser

No comments:

Post a Comment