Monday 16 January 2023

Good and Bad in Hornsea

 Along the Holderness coast we've had plastic Puffins installed since last summer - "Puffins Galore" is the project name. We have 7 of them here in Hornsea and when they first arrived I snapped each of them, then promptly forgot about them (until some scrote upended one and caused some speedy screwing down of their feet).

As I approached the sea front last week, the sun was just rising and I was behind one such puffin - a good photo opportunity so I took a few.

The sun's a balloon (with apologies to David Niven)
I intended to walk along the cliffs to see if I could catch sight of a Stonechat, as they are usually to be found along there in Jan/Feb.

I was only just starting to look for them when I spotted one in the tall stems of dead vegetation. A few more steps to get the view right and click, click, click - or on the new camera silence, silence, silence as it makes much less noise than the DSLR.

Stonechat

Looking back to the north the sun was shining on the sea front so I took a few images. Looking at them now they don't show Hornsea in a good light at all, despite the photo being physically well lit. The south end near Longbeach looks run-down with the random plonking of concrete tidal barriers, the ugly blue containers for workmen and tools and marked sea walls making for a really dispiriting view. 

God knows what people will think of the town when the English Coastal Path opens and folk walk north from Spurn or Withernsea to Hornsea. It looks horrible in my opinion.

Hornsea sea front - could do better

At the Mere things have settled into a predictable trudge towards spring. I know that sounds negative but that's how it seems with very little change from day to day. Same birds, same mammals, same plants. We need a weather change and luckily that is due to happen today with north westerly winds and a chill setting in. Perhaps that will shake things up and bring new wildlife out to play.

The set aside field is my daily hope for something new...


Counts of Linnet and Goldfinch

Chaffinch
Pied Wagtail
Song Thrush

No comments:

Post a Comment