Sunday 8 January 2023

Local Patch Delights

 The best thing about walking your local patch almost every day is that you know mostly what to expect, and where to look.

Every now and again you get days when things just fall into place and the wildlife is behaving as you wish it would every day.

Half an hour in to my walk and a small flock of Goldfinches are feeding in a small tree. It's always worth checking finch flocks for something different and viola, a Siskin. They feed in alder and birch trees which are quite heavy on the twig front so getting an uninterrupted view is a matter of timing.

Siskin

Another 10 minutes and a Woodcock is flushed from the wood edge - no chance of a photo as they get up and fly off so quickly. The russet rump is a good id guide and most of the time this is the clincher as they fly away from you.

I haven't seen a Treecreeper for nearly 2 months so I've been on the look out for one and as I leaned on a tree one flew onto the base of the next tree along to my right. Perfect.

Treecreeper

Even better, while I was taking these photos a Great Spotted Woodpecker landed on the tree to my left. It provided some close ups that were actually too close.

It moved further up the tree but didn't go into drumming mode as I'd hoped. Too low down I think for the sound to carry and it was busy feeding.
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Through the fields the finch flock was active around the set aside, flying into and out of the plants. Linnets and Chaffinches are there in good numbers and a few Reed Buntings too. One started a song but stopped after a couple of notes. Too early? Yes!
Reed Bunting with a song false start

I finished with a visit to the sea front and was rewarded with c.30 Red-throated Divers about half a mile out.

Red-throated Divers off Hornsea

Yes, it's nice to get off somewhere different every now and then, but you can't beat your local patch. Where everybody knows your name 🤣😂🤣 Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment