Saturday 8 April 2023

Spring Migrants On Show

 Summer migrants are starting to appear in numbers now - I had 4 Blackcaps, a Sedge Warbler and a Willow Warbler this morning, all singing away along with the numerous Chiffchaffs to provide a lovely backdrop to my daily walk.

Blackcap singing on Southorpe Road

Along the woodland edge the insects are also starting to emerge and I saw my first bee-fly here in Hornsea. I've seen them before but not locally.

Dark-edged Bee-fly feeding on Lesser Celandine

Tapered Dronefly at Wassand
Unknown sp. of fly - still researching

Also along the woodland edge a male Marsh Harrier flew in and dropped into the grass. It came up with a stick (for its nest I guess as I saw one yesterday go into the reeds with nest material) but it dropped it for some reason and flew off.

Martsh Harrier sans stick

Also nest material collecting was a Song Thrush.

Song Thrush with nest lining stuff

A few days ago as I went to the hide in the afternoon I got the drake Garganey that had been reported at the Mere in the morning. Lovely bird.

Drake Garganey

The female was there as well but she was tucked into the reedbed and I couldn't get a clear shot.

female Garganey


No comments:

Post a Comment