Sunday 14 April 2024

Common Buzzard V Marsh Harrier

 A territorial dispute broke out over the Mere this morning with a Buzzard and a Marsh Harrier flashing talons at each other. Not sure who came out the winner though 😀

Marsh Harrier left, Common Buzzard right

Early butterflies are now being seen quite regularly, but are still scarce.

Small White
Speckled Wood

A Barn Owl was hunting along the south side again this morning. Enjoying the spell of dry weather I think.

Barn Owl

Grey Squirrels are not my fave mammal but when a photo opportunity arises one just has to go for it.

Grey Squirrel in Wassand
Blackcaps are not as numerous as I thought they would be yet, but there's time of course. Males arrive before the females in order to claim their breeding territories ready for the ladies.
Male Blackcap
Wild flowers are everywhere now and I found both Dog Violet and Early Dog Violet close by Weatherhill.
Dog Violet
Early Dog Violet
White Dead Nettle
Ground Ivy

I also came across a white Forget-Me-Not which I think may be Water Forget-Me-Not.

Water Forget-Me-Not

As well as butterflies there are now lots of bees and hover flies to be seen. Tricky blighters to id these insects.

Orange-tailed Mining Bee

Tawny Mining Bee

Furry Drone Fly
Tiger Marsh Fly

There is so much going on now that these blog posts could be very long indeed if I didn't take care not to outstay my welcome on your device of choice, so I'll end there and pick up the continuing development of spring here in Hornsea in a few days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment