Friday 19 April 2024

It's A...Nice Day...For A...White Wagtail Day

A wander around Ulrome/Barmston was a pleasant change of scenery yesterday. The small scrape towards the sea usually has something lurking and yesterday was no exception - six White Wagtails no less.

White Wagtail at Ulrome scrape
Three of six White Wagtails

Also present on the large body of flood water in the fields were 2 Dunlin, 6 Ringed Plover and a Shelduck.

The small cliff faces are home to several Sand Martin colonies and about 20 or so birds were checking out the available properties.

Sand Martin
Numerous Skylarks filled the air with song all morning and Meadow Pipits joined in every now and then.

Meadow Pipit singing on the ground

This morning it was cool again and I went for a walk along the beach and sea front as the tide was ebbing. Nine Sanderling and a Turnstone along with a Common Sandpiper made the journey worthwhile.

This and two below - Common Sandpiper

Wednesday was a nice morning (but cold) and I managed to find a Grasshopper Warbler in Heslop's. No photos of course for this species, although I've managed some good ones in the past.

While I was listening to the Gropper a Roebuck came walking along the track. He obviously didn't see me as he got very close before deciding I wasn't part of the scenery 😂

Male Roe deer

 I took some video before I got a bit worried that he was coming right up to me, so I moved the camera and he got the message to move off.

The number of Shoveler has been quite impressive over the recent week or so, with up to 30 seen at any one time.

Shovelers flying east

Back to today for a final photo, this one from our garden and my first Dark-edged Bee-fly of the year. Lovely little insects they are too.

Dark-edged Bee-fly

No comments:

Post a Comment