Saturday 29 June 2024

Lucky To Live Here

 I count my blessings every time I walk past the Mere and see the beautiful place that we call home now. I hope I never take it for granted and lose the thrill of enjoying the ever changing views. I loved where we lived before, especially the hills, but here is just as great - just different that's all.

View down to the Mere

 A noisy pair of Herring Gulls brought my attention to a couple of their chicks looking down on me from their pseudo-cliff top nest site.

Two of three Herring Gull chicks

 This year's Teasels are getting ready to change colour into the lovely blue flowers we know so well. They don't last long in full bloom, the colour soon fades, the heads go brown and the small seeds hidden inside provide food for Goldfinches through Autumn and Winter.

Teasel flowers
 At last the warmth has brought out the butterflies. I watched a small patch of local rough land for an  hour  or  so  and  saw  Brimstone (1)  Large Skipper (1)  Large White (1)  Speckled Wood (1) Meadow Brown (4) and Ringlet (6).

Large Skipper

 Just a short distance away from the glut of butterflies I found a Pyramidal Orchid peeping through the undergrowth. First of the year for me - they are getting more and more scarce locally.

Pyramidal Orchid

I walked round the Mere for the first time since early February. What? Why has it taken so long to revisit one of my staple walks? Health has a lot to do with it unfortunately. I'm unable to walk for the distances I used to now. I am apparently older now than I used to be! My mind still feels like I'm young, only the weak flesh can't keep up 😂😂😂

In one of the field margins I got my first Ruddy Darter of the year - a female looking just fab.

Ruddy Darter - female

Also on the Mere circuit I was reminded of the past when I saw once again the old YEB logo on the wall of an electricity station.

Bygone days recalled

In the set aside the Barnacle Geese herd has arrived for their regular visit. I counted 29 with several showing leg rings, but they were too distant to get any views of the details. Hopefully they'll hang around and give opportunities for getting the letters and numbers so they can be recorded.

29 Barnacle Geese in the set aside field

The trees at the east end of Swan Island have been taken over by Black-headed Gulls. I don't remember seeing them sitting in these trees before so I wonder what the attraction is?

Branching out - Black-headed Gulls have a change of scenery


No comments:

Post a Comment